Sunday, January 8, 2012

Dolly Magazine November 1980

November 1980
Model Julie Skarratt

The KISS cover of this issue has to be one of my all-time favourites.  It is just so cute!

It's funny how fruit was often a feature item in many an 80's fashion spread, and this 'Shade Your Image' feature is a great example of this.  Not sure how practical these sunglasses styles are, and I'm sure at least one of them has been adopted by Dame Edna Everage, but the pictures are quite sweet.  I happened to look up some background information on Peter Yeo who designed these sunglasses, and it's quite an interesting story.  He was an AFL player who went on to designing sunglasses, and is now a quadriplegic due to a household accident.  He seems like quite the inspirational person, and that's what I love about looking through these vintage magazines - the wealth of new information they can lead you to.

3 comments:

  1. I just discovered your blog and I love it. I was actually searching for the March 1980 copy of Dolly because it was the first I ever bought. I was a teenager in the 80's and I remember wearing these fashions. I also worked at Sportsgirl and I clearly remember the clothes. If you have March 1980 Dolly I would love to see some shots.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello! Love your blog! I was breezing through around and wanted to connect and see if you ever see Bonne Bell ads in these magazines, moreso Lip Smackers ads? I'm looking for any from 1974-1981. I've been looking for an ad for the Red Licorice flavor that launched around 1979-1980. If you come across it please let me know!

    ReplyDelete